On Air

Breakfast with Tony Wright 6:00am - 10:00am

Now Playing

You are viewing content from The Breeze Bristol.
Would you like to make this your preferred location?

After four days of action, bailiffs have removed all of the protesters from the site without making any arrests.

Around 50 people set up camp at the allotments six weeks ago in protest over the controversial MetroBus scheme which will use part of the land.

Protesters dug tunnels under the site, platforms in the trees as well as chaining themselves to them and diggers. 

Bailiffs first moved in early on Thursday morning. Over the four days around 100 staff working in shifts around the clock removed the campaigners.

In a largely peaceful process there were no arrests or major incidents, with the majority of protesters leaving without the need for a forceful removal. Several attempts were made by some activists to breach the site, requiring a significant security presence around the clock.

Peter Mann, Service Director for Transport at Bristol City Council said: "I am grateful to the High Court Sheriff, our bailiffs, security teams and rescue specialists as well as the vast majority of protesters who acted with great respect and calmness. There have only been a handful of forced removals or minor incidents, which is unusual for such a large operation and testament to the professionalism and respect shown by most people over the last few days.

"Our hope is that we can draw a line under this incident and, after what is likely to be a major clean- up operation after the protest, we will move forward quickly with work on the site. The first order of business is to reconfigure the allotments and provide people with access to improved facilities as soon as possible.

"We are also looking at working with Avon Wildlife Trust to help Feed Bristol get back up and running as soon as possible. Our ability to do this will be absolutely dependent on protesters not attempting to trespass on the site."

Peter Faulding Chief Executive of Specialist Group International (SGI), which provided specialist services to address treetop, underground and 'locked on' protesters said: "It has been a relatively complex operation, but one we were fully anticipating and well prepared for. Together with bailiffs and security staff, my specialist team has been part of an effective and mostly peaceful resolution to the protest."

A strong security presence will be maintained at the site to prevent further incursions. This will continue for as long as it is required.

Peter Mann added: "Sadly there is no avoiding that the cost of this protest will be a relatively high one for local taxpayers.  We won't know the precise cost for a little while but expect the removal operation costs to be significant."

More from Local News